One of the most exciting things to do in New York City is going to live theater. From lavish musicals to thought-provoking dramas or hilarious comedies, there is a show for just about everyone.
Broadway ticket prices can range from $75 to several hundred dollars for premium seats. Off-Broadway tickets are less expensive and you still see amazing actors in great shows. We can help with information about shows and often have discounts for some shows.
At any given moment there are 50 or more Broadway and off-Broadway shows running. For shows that are not sold out you can get day-of-performance seats at the half-price ticket booth (known as “TKTS”) located in the theatre district in their dazzling new outdoor space at West 47th Street and Broadway (the space is also known as Father Duffy Square). It’s open from 3 to 8 PM Monday through Saturday for evening performances, and 10 am to 2 PM for matinees (Wednesdays, Saturdays) and Sundays from 11 am to closing. Keep in mind that it can be very crowded and the lines can last for an hour or more (going at 4:30 PM is suggested). Another option, generally less crowded, is the downtown branch of TKTS located at Front and John Streets in the South Street Seaport, just behind the Abercrombie & Fitch store. Hours are Monday through Saturday 11-6, and Sunday 11-3:30. In addition to day-of-performance tickets, you can also purchase matinee tickets the day before a performance at the downtown location.
Getting tickets to a great show is easy:
- Guests at Chelsea Pines Inn can get assistance from the concierge desk. Our staff will search for the best available seats at the best price. The tickets will be charged to your credit card and held at the theater’s “Will Call” window. Just show up at the theater at least 30 minutes early, present your credit card and ID and pick up your tickets. This service is free for our guests, but for TicketMaster (www.ticketmaster.com) or TeleCharge (www.telecharge.com) fees do apply.
- If you have special requirements you may find it easier to purchase tickets yourself. Contact us and we will give you all the information you need.
- Once you are here information is available about shows and discounts. For most shows you can take this information to the theater box office and purchase tickets there saving you the service charges.
- Full price tickets can be purchased in person at each show’s box office or from TicketMaster and TeleCharge online and by phone.
- The Playbill website (www.playbill.com) has links for most shows, and discounts for Playbill online members (membership is free).
- TKTS, the ½ price ticket booths sell discounted tickets(www.tdf.org) in person, for cash, traveler’s checks and credit cards, at the booths in Times Square or at the South Street Seaport the day of the show for evening performances. For matinee performances tickets can be purchased one day in advance at the South Street Seaport location, or the day or performance at the Times Square location. Discounts range from 25% to 50%. Not all shows are available at TKTS, and seat selection is limited, but it’s a great way to save. Wait time is usually less than an hour but can be longer (but much shorter at the South Street location). Because some shows won’t be available have several shows in mind before going and don’t be too disappointed if you can’t get tickets to the hottest shows.
You may find it helpful to pick up a copy of Time Out New York, the weekly magazine which has capsule theatre reviews, as well as a weekly calendar spotlighting just about anything that’s going on in the city.
NOTE: Theater tickets are always a “Final Sale” and cannot be exchanged or returned.